Please read through the below topics for important information that you will need on race days.
Please note entry fees are payable to Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife to get into Midmar Dam over Race Weekend.
Please have the relevant amount with you in cash. Although Credit Card facilities are available, load shedding may mean networks are unavailable for payments to be processed.
The entrance fees for 2023 are as follows:
- Pedestrians: R50 per person
- Cars (up to 7 persons): R150 per car
- Combis (up to 15 persons): R200 per combi
- Small buses (up to 32 persons): R520 per bus
- Large buses (up to 80 persons): R800 per bus
During Race Weekend, the following cards are not accepted, only cash payment or credit cards are accepted.
- Rhino Gold Card
We request all motorists to:
- Put as many people into a car as possible (taking note of numbers above) as it is mostly a charge per car and not individual to encourage reducing the number of cars coming through the gate;
- Get the required amount of money ready in the car to avoid delays in finding change etc.
All Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife indemnity rules will apply. Events will take place irrespective of weather conditions, unless officials from KZN Wildlife deem conditions to be unsafe. Should it NOT BE POSSIBLE to hold the event, beyond the control of the Organising Committee, medals will be issued and no entry fees will be refunded.
The two way traffic flow between the START and FINISH will remain in operation this year. This will help the buses used for transporting swimmers to move a little faster between the collection/drop-off points. Please take note of the routes by referring to the main map of the dam (will be posted shortly). Specially marked parking areas will be available, depending on which lane you enter the dam, as well as attendants on duty to help you enter and park with the least inconvenience possible.
• PLEASE PARK WHERE THE OFFICIALS DIRECT YOU •
Bhejane Security and Mi7 will be on site doing their best to ensure personal and vehicle security so you can enjoy this much anticipated 50th Edition of the aQuelle Midmar Mile.
However, please note that you do park at your own risk and your belongings are your responsibility.
The Start on Sat 11 and Sun 12 Feb will be at Blackhurst Peninsular.
Once at the start, there is a procedure for ALL swimmers to follow:
- Enter the fenced area marked SWIMMERS ONLY and follow instructions for the relevant are below
- Follow the procedures detailed under PRE ENTRY PACK COLLECTION, LATE ENTRIES and ENQUIRIES as is relevant
- Every Swimmer will be body marked with their RACE NUMBER
- Once Body Marked, Swimmers proceed to the correct marked pen for their Starting Batch
- All pre-entered swimmers to join the marked queue in the REGISTRATION tent for the event they are about to swim
- Timing Chips, Barcode Tags and Swim Caps are allocated to each individual swimmer at REGISTRATION
- Keep your packet closed until you reach the CHIP CHECK stations at the EXIT of the Registration marquee
- Any queries at CHIP CHECK will be dealt with before you proceed to the batching areas
- Once cleared for EXIT, proceed to BODY MARKING
GROUP (BULK) ENTRIES will collect Timing Chips, Barcode Tags and Swim Caps from a separate marked entrance and once you have your chip and relevant registration tags, proceed to the area marked SCHOOLS CHIP CHECK before you get to the batching areas.
- Please arrive two hours before your event start time to ensure adequate time to process the entry
- Event 1: R400
- Events 2-8: R450
- Payment can be made with CASH, CREDIT CARD or ZAPPER
- Once your Timing Chip, Barcode Tags and Swim Caps are allocated to you will follow steps 3-5 as detailed above
- Our Team will be in place to answer your queries such as:
- Personal details necessary corrections
- Event changes
- Start batch changes (note that once seeding is complete, swimmers may only be allowed to move to a batch behind them, not forward. This is for reasons of Water Safety.
- PLEASE NOTE that NO SUBSTITUTIONS of one swimmer for another are allowed under any circumstances
- Should a swimmer not attend the event or withdraw for any reason, NO REFUNDS will be issued
The manpower on the water this year over the course of the four days will be over 100 qualified lifeguards adding to the safety of the swim. Together with the lifeguards, the SA Navy, SAPS Diving Unit and Mi7 Medical are all on the water during the races.
RESTRICTED WATER CRAFT
For safety reasons ONLY OFFICIAL BOATS will be allowed to follow the swimmers. Unofficial power boats entering the Yachting area may be impounded by KZN Ezemvelo Wildlife officials.
Mi7 will be in place throughout the event for medical emergencies. Medical assistance is located at the Finish area. Medical staff will be on hand at the start, on the water and at Munro Bay. Please notify an official should you require medical attention.
The onus is on the swimmer to supply and make arrangements regarding special medical/health requirements while competing.
The details of how the Finish area will run will be posted in due course
There is a cut-off time at the halfway mark, of 32 minutes. This time is taken from when the last starting batch enters the water in each event. It will be at the discretion of the Water Safety Officer and his team as to whether a swimmer is taken off the water, depending on the circumstances and conditions at the time. Any swimmer taken out of the water will be transported by the Water Safety Staff by boat to Munro Bay.
You will hand your Timing Chip and Barcode Tag to officials upon reaching Munro Bay.
The following will result in a swimmer being disqualified:
- Swimmers failing to obey the rules or any Official’s instructions.
- Receiving assistance while swimming, including the wearing of wetsuits or swimming aids.
- Substituting one swimmer with another.
- Finishing the event without having registered will result in NO TIME being recorded and disqualification.
- Any action that may bring the event into disrepute may result in disqualification and further disciplinary action.
- Swimmers are expected to wear the swim cap supplied. The wearing of any other cap will result in disqualification.
(EVENTS 1 TO 6 – ONLY 3 IN EACH CATEGORY)
(EVENTS 7 and 8 – ONLY TOP 10 IN EACH CATEGORY)
Prizegiving for Events 1-4 – Sat 11 Feb – as close to 14h00 as results permit
Prizegiving for Events 5-8 – Sun 12 Feb – as close to 14h00 as results permit
Please could the age group winners make provision to be at Prize Giving in this special 50th anniversary. Prize money will be forfeited if you are not at prize giving
Please note that prize money will ONLY BE PAID OVER after Prize Giving but within 14 days of the event and subject to any doping clearances that may be required.
ONLY swimmers seeded in the first batch (ORANGE CAP) will be eligible for prizes. The organisers reserve the right to accept seeding times outside of the seeding events.
The onus is on the entrant to ensure correct seeding before their race starts.
As a participant, the indemnity is accepted on entry and once the Registration process is complete.
Full Indemnity – please read
In consideration of the acceptance of my entry, I, for myself, executors, heirs, administrators and assigns do hereby release and discharge Midmar Mile and its sponsors, any and all voluntary groups, all medical personnel, any and all authorities from all claims for injuries, damage and property loss I may suffer caused by negligence of any of them and arriving out of my participation in the event including pre and post race activities. I am physically fit and sufficiently trained to participate in this event and assume all risks for participation. I accept all the rules, conditions and regulations which include terms of payment of entry fee and will comply with them. I give my express permission for my data to be processed and shared with 3rd party providers for any purpose associated with the organisation and running of the event. I understand that my name and results will be published publicly. I also grant my permission to Midmar Mile and its authorized agents to use my name, photographs, video tape, broadcasts, telecasts, advertising promotion or other account of this event free of charge.