Thursday, 3 February 2022 – Schools across the country will go head-to-head in a new event introduced for this month’s aQuellé Midmar Mile.

School rivalries will be taken to a new level as teams of four swimmers will complete a total of eight miles over two days as part of the aQuellé Midmar Mile Schools Charity Relay Challenge.

“We have a number of schools signed up already and they’re really excited to take part in this unique event,” explained race director Wayne Riddin.

How it will work is that one timing chip will be allocated to each team, meaning it will act as a type of baton for the relay. Each swimmer will complete one mile on 10 February, and another on 11 February. Once all the miles are completed, the winners will be announced.

“And the best part is, it’s all for a good cause,” added Riddin. “Each team is responsible for raising a minimum of R10,000. Afterwards, 25 per cent of that will be donated back to their school with the remaining 75 per cent going to the charities that are partnered with the aQuellé Midmar Mile.”

These charities include: Pink Drive, CHOC, CANSA, Ezemvelo – Save the Rhino, the Chad le Clos Foundation/Swimmers Trust Fund, Happy Bundles and many more.

Keeping the fundraising events separate from the swims over the weekend gives the swimmers the time and space to complete their events in a more relaxed environment that focuses on their achievements both in the water and on the funds that are raised through their efforts,” said Riddin.

There are six categories within the Schools Charity Relay Challenge. These are junior girls, junior boys and junior mixed (for swimmers in grade 7 or below) and senior girls, senior boys and senior mixed (for swimmers from grade 8 to 12).

Schools are reminded that the entry deadline is this Friday, 4 February 2022. The deadline for raising fund is 31 March 2022.

For more information, head to www.midmarmile.co.za.

 

 

 

 

Virus-free. www.avg.com